These days what percentage of a CPU's work involves doing arithmetic computations versus other, non-arithmetic computations?

Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org>
Wed, 14 Jul 2021 18:30:24 +0000

          From comp.compilers

From: Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 18:30:24 +0000

Hello Compiler Experts!

As I understand it, computers were originally designed to do arithmetic
computations and in the old days nearly 100% of a CPU's work involved
arithmetic computations.

I look at what I now do on a daily basis with computers and it is primarily
text processing. My guess is that "text processing" at the machine level
mostly means doing comparisons and moving things into and out of
memory/registers; that is, not much in the way of arithmetic computations. Is
that correct?

These days what percentage of a CPU's work involves doing arithmetic
computations versus other, non-arithmetic computations?

/Roger
[I don't think it was ever true except perhaps on the ENIAC. Also, what do
you mean by arithmetic? Are the additions and multiplications to do indexing
and array addresssing arithmetic? If you mean floating point. there wasn't
any floating point hardware until the IBM 704 in 1954 but there was plenty
of computing before that. -John]