Lexing Unicode strings?

"Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson" <johann@myrkraverk.com>
Wed, 21 Apr 2021 16:20:40 +0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Lexing Unicode strings? johann@myrkraverk.com (Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson) (2021-04-21)
Re: Lexing Unicode strings? johann@myrkraverk.com (Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson) (2021-05-03)
Re: Lexing Unicode strings? gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2021-05-04)
Re: Lexing Unicode strings? christopher.f.clark@compiler-resources.com (Christopher F Clark) (2021-05-04)
Re: Lexing Unicode strings? gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2021-05-04)
Re: Lexing Unicode strings? haberg-news@telia.com (Hans Aberg) (2021-07-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson" <johann@myrkraverk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 16:20:40 +0000
Posted-Date: 21 Apr 2021 12:38:24 EDT

Dear c.compilers,

For context, I have been reading the old book Compiler design in C
by Allen Holub; available here

https://holub.com/compiler/

and it goes into the details of the author's own LeX implementation.

Just like the dragon book [which I admit I haven't read for some number
of years] this uses lookup tables for the individual characters, which
is fine for ASCII, but does kind of seem excessive for all 0x10ffff code
points in Unicode.

I am interested in this, using plain old C, without using external tools
like ICU, for my own reasons[1]. What data structures are appropriate
for this exercise? Are there resources out there I can study, other
than the ICU source code? [Which for other reasons of my own, I'm not
too keen on studying.]

[1] Let's leave out the question if I'll be successful or not.

Thanks,
--
Johann
[The obvious approach if you're scaning UTF-8 text is to keep treating the input as