CEX - Context-Free Expression Filter: update.

Rock Brentwood <rockbrentwood@gmail.com>
Sun, 4 Apr 2021 16:55:10 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
CEX - Context-Free Expression Filter markwh04@yahoo.com (2007-02-25)
CEX - Context-Free Expression Filter: update. rockbrentwood@gmail.com (Rock Brentwood) (2021-04-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Rock Brentwood <rockbrentwood@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 16:55:10 -0500
Posted-Date: 04 Apr 2021 21:14:02 EDT

The following is an update of the comp.compilers article

"CEX - Context-Free Expression Filter"
2007 February 25
https://compilers.iecc.com/comparch/article/07-02-067

Both an updated and UTF-8 converted version of the original have been
posted under comp.theory here:

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.theory/c/JTnm83_tWcA

The following cites from the original have been updated:

> In 1993, the regular expression filter REX was introduced. Notable
> amongst its features was that processing was carried out entirely
> within an algebraic paradigm. The utility and the algorithms
> underlying it have eventually found their way into other applications
> (e.g. XML-Query).

This was originally in the comp.compilers archive. The latest updates
may now be found at GitHub under

https://github.com/RockBrentwood/RegEx

>CEX is the long-planned successor to REX. It will not handle the full
>range of REX functionality, but will process language expressions at
>the next stage up the Chomsky hierarchy: Context-Free Expressions.
>The Untold Story of Formal Languages
>http://federation.g3z.com/CompSci/index.htm#Untold
>(Numerous other references may be found on this page, both above and
>below this link)

Currently linked at:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080106150352/http://federation.g3z.com/CompSci/
index.htm#Untold

Descriptions only are available, not the PDF's; and has been largely
subsumed both by the following and publications recent and pending
listed in the references (cited in the comp.theory article):

The Algebraic Approach II-V
https://www.scribd.com/document/235317956/The-Algebraic-Approach-II-V

The new framework for context-free expressions, which is part of a new
algebraic foundation for formal language and automata theory laid out
in recent publications and elsewhere, is a descendant of the algebraic
formulation published in 1963 by Chomsky and Schützenberger.

A follow-up note to the 2018 papers that I sent both directly to
Chomsky and as an open letter on the recent developments is here:

https://www.scribd.com/document/392094748/The-evolution-of-recent-development
s-in-formal-language-theory-from-the-1960-s

An early draft of the presentation for one of the recent publications
may be found here:

Co Equalizers and Tensor Products for Idempotent Semirings
https://www.scribd.com/document/392094657/Co-Equalizers-and-Tensor-Products-f
or-Idempotent-Semirings

More details may be found in the comp.theory article.