Re: Algorithm Optimization

"Derek M. Jones" <derek@_NOSPAM_knosof.co.uk>
Tue, 15 Sep 2020 14:29:31 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Algorithm Optimization rick.c.hodgin@gmail.com (Rick C. Hodgin) (2020-09-13)
Re: Algorithm Optimization elronnd@elronnd.net (Elijah Stone) (2020-09-14)
Re: Algorithm Optimization rick.c.hodgin@gmail.com (Rick C. Hodgin) (2020-09-15)
Re: Algorithm Optimization derek@_NOSPAM_knosof.co.uk (Derek M. Jones) (2020-09-15)
Re: Algorithm Optimization gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2020-09-15)
Re: Algorithm Optimization mwmarkland@gmail.com (mwmarkland@gmail.com) (2020-09-16)
Re: Algorithm Optimization rick.c.hodgin@gmail.com (Rick C. Hodgin) (2020-09-16)
Re: Algorithm Optimization derek@_NOSPAM_knosof.co.uk (Derek M. Jones) (2020-09-16)
Re: Algorithm Optimization gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2020-09-16)
Re: Algorithm Optimization richard.nospam@gmail.com (Richard Harnden) (2020-09-16)

From: "Derek M. Jones" <derek@_NOSPAM_knosof.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 14:29:31 +0100

Rick,

> I've been pursuing the idea of what I call algorithm optimization.  It's
> the idea that algorithms coded by individuals may not be optimal, and
> may require refactoring / re-engineering to be made optimal based on
> what's trying to be achieved.

Compilers had done to death figuring out how best to optimize what
the developer wrote. The future is optimizing what they intended to write.

> Are these all standard optimization techniques which exist, or is this
> something else I'm pursuing with the big push to have optimization take
> place at the BAlive level to revamp algorithms based on fundamental data
> types and data/flow analyses of the intent of the algorithms?

A while back I had the idea of trying to figure out what floating-point
calculation was being attempted, e.g., using a Taylor series when a Chebyshev
series would be more efficient.

http://shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com/2010/02/28/using-numeric-literals-to-identify-application-domains/

> Note:  All of this is my original thinking this all through.  I have not
> read books or articles or papers from others on how to do things.  I
> look at the code and I think things.  I used to discuss them with Walter
> Banks, but he passed in late 2019.

I'm sorry to hear this news about Walter.

--
Derek M. Jones
blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com