Applesoft tokenization phases?

"Ev. Drikos" <drikosev@gmail.com>
Thu, 12 Mar 2020 17:46:00 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Applesoft tokenization phases? drikosev@gmail.com (Ev. Drikos) (2020-03-12)
Re: Applesoft tokenization phases? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2020-03-13)
Re: Applesoft tokenization phases? awanderin@gmail.com (awanderin) (2020-03-16)
Re: Applesoft tokenization phases? drikosev@gmail.com (Ev. Drikos) (2020-03-18)
Re: Applesoft tokenization phases? christopher.f.clark@compiler-resources.com (Christopher F Clark) (2020-03-20)
Re: Applesoft tokenization phases? martin@gkc.org.uk (Martin Ward) (2020-03-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Ev. Drikos" <drikosev@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 17:46:00 +0200

Hello,

This question relates to thread "Languages with Optional Spaces".

In an Applesoft II manual I've found at "classiccmp.org" [1], page 7,
we read that in a variable name any alphanumeric characters after the
first two are ignored, unless they contain a reserved world. FEND ie
would be illegal as it contains END.

To implement such a rule one could first recognize keywords and then
recognize any names. We see in p123 that stmt I is tokenized as II:
    I. stmt: 100 FOR A = LOFT OR CAT To 15
II. tokens: 100 FOR A = LOF TO RC AT To 15

Yet, I've found ie a program at "hoist-point.com" [2] that contains:
110 DIFF = ABS(A(I)-N)

Also, an online AppleSoft simulator at calormen.com [3] accepts ie both
DIFF and FEND as valid variable names.

As it seems, this issue can affect a design choice for the tokenization
phases of an Applesoft front-end. Is the manual just informative or the
online simulator does not accept (precisely) the particular dialect?

Ev. Drikos

PS: The eight (8) Basic examples in the Compukit UK101 Simulator project
seem to be compatible to Applesoft, although I haven't seen this term in
the site [4] or the computer manual that contains a Basic Reference; not
sure also if the Superboard II accepts a dialect compatible to Applesoft.

[1] http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/Apple/
[2] http://www.hoist-point.com/applesoft_basic_tutorial.htm
[3] https://www.calormen.com/jsbasic/
[4] http://uk101.sourceforge.net/docs/index.html