Re: Optimization techniques

"Rick C. Hodgin" <rick.c.hodgin@gmail.com>
Thu, 18 Apr 2019 11:22:24 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Optimization techniques rick.c.hodgin@gmail.com (Rick C. Hodgin) (2019-04-17)
Re: Optimization techniques haberg-news@telia.com (Hans Aberg) (2019-04-17)
Re: Optimization techniques gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2019-04-18)
Re: Optimization techniques rick.c.hodgin@gmail.com (Rick C. Hodgin) (2019-04-18)
Re: Optimization techniques haberg-news@telia.com (Hans Aberg) (2019-04-19)
Re: Optimization techniques 847-115-0292@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2019-04-19)
Re: Optimization techniques rick.c.hodgin@gmail.com (Rick C. Hodgin) (2019-04-19)
Re: Optimization techniques gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2019-04-19)
Re: Optimization techniques DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2019-04-20)
Re: Optimization techniques rick.c.hodgin@gmail.com (Rick C. Hodgin) (2019-04-19)

From: "Rick C. Hodgin" <rick.c.hodgin@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 11:22:24 -0400
Posted-Date: 18 Apr 2019 15:27:23 EDT

On 4/18/2019 4:07 AM, George Neuner wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 09:42:21 -0400 (EDT), "Rick C. Hodgin"
> <rick.c.hodgin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are there resources someone can point me to for learning more about
>> time-honored, long-established, safely applied, optimization
>> techniques for a C/C++ like language?
>
> There really aren't many "safe" optimizations you can do before you
> run into pointer aliasing problems in C. Almost any modern compiler
> text will cover the bulk of them.

I'm not sure what that is by its name, but I'll start there. Thank
you, George.

> [Great reading list, thanks. Floating add and multiply commute but
> they don't associate. a+b should be the sams as b+a, but (a+b)+c not
> the same as a+(b+c). -John]

I think the goal for floating point engines in moving forward is no
longer to only be exceeding fast under IEEE-754 or its relatives, but
there should be a new model introduced into silicon which carries out
computations that are truly accurate, which either an arbitrary pre-
cision engine which will admittedly be slower and be accurate out only
to some finite degree and inaccurate beyond that, or some kind of sym-
bolic tree-based algorithm which doesn't actually conduct the final
computation until the tree has been updated to its final form, and is
then, and only then, computed, allowing for cancellations and reduc-
tions to be made, which I believe is what happens in apps like Maple
and Mathematica.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
[I think you're conflating different things in the FP stuff. The