Re: algorithm performance, was Add nested-function support in a language the based on a stack-machine

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Sat, 24 Mar 2018 14:06:31 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: algorithm performance robin51@dodo.com.au (Robin Vowels) (2018-03-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 14:06:31 GMT
Posted-Date: 24 Mar 2018 18:50:24 EDT

Andy Walker <anw@cuboid.co.uk> writes:
> Somewhat more to the point, as this is "comp.compilers",
>it seems unlikely that either the compiler or the source being
>compiled have grown by anything like the growth in RAM, despite the
>unfortunate modern [ie last 40-odd years!] tendency towards bloat.

One of the papers I saw during this recent discussion mentions that
one of Wirth's early compilers (PL/360 IIRC) self-compiled in IIRC 25s
on a machine of the time, i.e., late 1960s (which the author of the
paper found quite impressive). In 1992, I heard a keynote address by
Wirth (at CC'92), where he contrasted Oberon with C++, and used
self-compilation time as one metric: The Oberon compiler compiled
itself in IIRC 6s, which he contrasted with IIRC 20 minutes for the
C++ compiler.

The last few times that I built a recent gcc, it took several hours to
compile itself (three stages, and it included several front-ends, but
still); interestingly, I rebuilt gcc-2.7 in 2015, and that took only a
few minutes.

Software bloats to fill the memory and run-time that is deemed
acceptable. Whether that means more or less sophistication in the
algorithms varies from case to case.

- anton
--
M. Anton Ertl