Re: ANN: lcc-win compiler

jacobnavia <jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr>
Fri, 30 Sep 2016 23:32:50 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ANN: lcc-win compiler jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (jacobnavia) (2016-09-29)
Re: ANN: lcc-win compiler arnold@skeeve.com (2016-09-30)
Re: ANN: lcc-win compiler jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (jacobnavia) (2016-09-30)
Re: ANN: lcc-win compiler arnold@skeeve.com (2016-10-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jacobnavia <jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 23:32:50 +0200
Posted-Date: 01 Oct 2016 15:07:41 EDT

Le 30/09/2016 ` 12:16, Aharon Robbins a icrit :
> In article 16-09-040, jacobnavia <jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr> wrote:
>> http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32
>>
>> [lcc-win] has back ends for intel (all versions), power pc, and an ARM back end
>> is in development. It runs under linux and windows (from windows NT to
>> windows 10)
>
> The download link wants to bring a Windows exe; I didn't see how
> to d.l. a Linux executable.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Arnold
> --
> Aharon (Arnold) Robbins arnold AT skeeve DOT com

There is already a version (32 bits) for Linux written by Hanson and
Fraser, as everyone knows. I have developed a windows version of lcc but
for linux I haven't done so as I explained in another message.

I am trying to port lcc to ARM, and to rasbian, because a customer asked
me to do that. Luck.

The rasbien is a 32 bit version of the debian distrution for the
raspberry pi open source circuit board.

But for other versions of linux it would be quite a lot of work that I
do not see me doing for free. I have a limited life, as everyone else.

The versions of lcc-win that I developed for Linux are for specific
customers and I can't distribute that. I started, some years ago trying
to do a public version like under windows but was very quickly
overwhelmed by the variety of distributions and bewildering software
choices that would have needed full teams of people to solve.

Or maybe not.

I spent a lot of effort writing a compatibility layer for GTK that was
running until GTK changed the interface in a completely incompatible way
and I would have to restart again. I just hadn't the time (or the will)
to do that. I wrote a debugger kernel (that is very Unix like, at a
basic level linux is just Unix) that started working but then the whole
IDE with the GTK core...

I stopped.