Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux?

George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Wed, 28 Sep 2016 21:24:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? arnold@skeeve.com (2016-09-14)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? rugxulo@gmail.com (2016-09-26)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? arnold@skeeve.com (2016-09-27)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? rugxulo@gmail.com (2016-09-27)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2016-09-28)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2016-09-28)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2016-09-28)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? arnold@skeeve.com (2016-09-29)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2016-09-29)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2016-09-29)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2016-09-30)
Re: Alternative C compilers on x86_64 Linux? arnold@skeeve.com (2016-09-30)

From: George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 21:24:16 -0400
Posted-Date: 28 Sep 2016 22:28:29 EDT

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 16:36:29 -0700 (PDT), rugxulo@gmail.com wrote:

>Four cpus is still good, better than average. (But even my old
>Westmere has that.

True. And newer isn't always better. Recently Intel has been focused
more on power consumption than on performance. You can have more
cores, but they run slower.

>So where's our "thousands of cores", Intel??
>They sure do overhype SMP on every street corner! Humbug!)

You can have 72 weak cores in the Xeon Phi 7290.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-phi-detail.html

Or you can have 24 strong cores in the E7-8890
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-processor-e7-family.html

Depends on how much you want to pay.
<grin>

>And Skylake is very new. (I can't even pretend to remember all
>the supported instruction sets.)

Skylake has been generally available for more than a year. Its
successor, Kaby Lake, is already available in selected [high priced]
systems and is expected to be generally available by the holidays this
year.

>The bottleneck could really be something simple like the makefile
>itself, but I realize that rewriting or replacing that isn't usually
>easy.
>
> :
>
>> Dorking with the Makefile to only use -O on certain files isn't really
>> an option; autotools sets things up to compile everything the same way
>> and for the shipped tarball that is the right option.
>
>If you're going to let AutoTools (or anything else) dictate everything
>for you, then you're going to have to live with slow compiles.

There likely is opportunity to improve the make file, but slow builds
with GCC generally are the result of design patterns that produce
[too] many small source files, and/or coding patterns that prevent use
of precompiled headers [there are a LOT of caveats there].
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Precompiled-Headers.html

George