Re: IR Representation

=?UTF-8?B?Q8Opc2Fy?= <divcesar@gmail.com>
Mon, 7 Sep 2015 23:05:29 -0300

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
IR Representation divcesar@gmail.com (=?UTF-8?B?Q8Opc2Fy?=) (2015-09-04)
Re: IR Representation anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2015-09-05)
Re: IR Representation divcesar@gmail.com (=?UTF-8?B?Q8Opc2Fy?=) (2015-09-07)
Re: IR Representation anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2015-09-08)
Re: IR Representation gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2015-09-08)
Re: IR Representation divcesar@gmail.com (=?UTF-8?B?Q8Opc2Fy?=) (2015-09-11)
Re: IR Representation DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2015-09-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: =?UTF-8?B?Q8Opc2Fy?= <divcesar@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 23:05:29 -0300
Posted-Date: 07 Sep 2015 23:24:33 EDT

Hi Anton, thank you for the answer.

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 1:51 PM, Anton Ertl
<anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> =?UTF-8?B?Q8Opc2Fy?= <divcesar@gmail.com> writes:
> >- I believe that a linear sequence of instructions would be easier to
> >optimize/analyze, right?
>
> What kind of linear representation do you have in mind? And what
> optimizations?

This linear representation is really just an array of IR instructions,
something on these lines: vector<Instruction*>; As operands
instructions have pointers to entries in the symbol table.

As for optimizations I was planning to start with common sub. expr.
elimination, dead code elimination, loop-invariant code motion, etc.
and later on move to more complex optimizations. I agree with you
that if I have the instructions stored in a stack it would be easy to
do. However, my initial understanding of linear was really an array of
instructions... and from that to construct a tree it seemed a little
complex, it seems like trying to reconstruct an AST from an assembly
stream of instructions.

> >Besides, I have a question about storing the IR as a tree. Should I
> >(a) create an individual tree for each expression/statement in the
> >source or (b) should I create a single tree concatenating the trees
> >for each expression?
>
> Whatever suits your purpose. My students often create a tree for the
> whole program, but for the task I give them I recommend doing just a
> tree for each simple statement, because the tree-parsing instruction
> selection that they use is not useful for combining tree nodes at a
> higher level (AST nodes for function definitions and such); so when
> they have a tree for the whole program, they just have to write
> tree-parsing rules for all these nodes without any benefit from
> tree-parsing.

I did not understand how can you represent the program using just a
single tree, because sometimes the computations are just
independent... What would be the a single tree for these programs:

a = b[5];
c = a + 1;
d = a * c;
e = a + a;

or this one:

a = b + c;
d = e + f;

In my current implementation I represent both examples as set of trees
(a forest).

> You can also have data-flow graphs for whole basic blocks or more (but
> that's not directly derived from the abstract syntax tree like my
> students are using). If you want to go in that direction, I recommend
> reading Marc Brandis' thesis:
> <ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/doc/diss/th11024.ps.gz>

I think it's better if I come up with something simpler working first.
This seems to be a really good text. I'll read it. Thank you for the
link!
[You make it one tree by inventing a node type for a statement sequence,
either an N-ary one, or a bunch of (statement, next node) pairs. As
he said, it's largely a matter of programming preference. -John]