Re: ELF and DWARF tools ?

=?UTF-8?B?QyBCZXJnc3Ryw7Zt?= <>
Mon, 29 Dec 2014 13:22:23 +0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ELF and DWARF tools ? (John R. Levine) (2014-12-29)
Re: ELF and DWARF tools ? (=?UTF-8?B?QyBCZXJnc3Ryw7Zt?=) (2014-12-29)
Re: ELF and DWARF tools ? (Hans Aberg) (2014-12-29)
Re: ELF and DWARF tools ? (Walter Banks) (2014-12-29)
Re: ELF and DWARF tools ? (Charles Chester) (2014-12-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: =?UTF-8?B?QyBCZXJnc3Ryw7Zt?= <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 13:22:23 +0700
Posted-Date: 29 Dec 2014 11:59:09 EST

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 12:42 PM, John R. Levine <> wrote:
> I am working on a project which involves building a compiler toolchain for
> yet another architecture. The obvious object format to use is ELF and
> DWARF, and I'm trying to figure out the least painful way to do that. ...

The llvm family of code is becoming more complete in terms of a full
GNU replacement. That isn't the land of python, but you're going to
have to go outside of that anyway for actual compiler/toolchain work.
(LLVM has a builtin DWARF parser)

I'm not a fan of llvm, but the codebase does have a "not bad" design
in terms of ease of portability. Assuming your arch isn't VLIW I
wouldn't expect too much hell.

If gcc isn't a forced requirement out of the gate maybe give it a go.

Side note: there's 2 "libdwarfs" floating around.. the one from SGI
and the BSD implementation, if licensing makes any difference.. I've
worked with the later