Re: Comments, was Programming language and IDE design

"BartC" <bc@freeuk.com>
Fri, 1 Aug 2014 13:15:04 -0400 (EDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Programming language and IDE design martin@gkc.org.uk (Martin Ward) (2013-10-17)
Re: Programming language and IDE design gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2013-10-22)
Re: Programming language and IDE design bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2013-10-23)
Re: Comments, was Programming language and IDE design bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2014-08-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "BartC" <bc@freeuk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 13:15:04 -0400 (EDT)
Posted-Date: 01 Aug 2014 13:15:04 EDT

"BartC" <bc@freeuk.com> wrote in message news:13-10-025@comp.compilers...

> (I've used 'fi', 'esac' and 'od' for 30 years, they seem completely
> natural to me. However, 'hctiws', 'pool', 'nigeb', 'noitcnuf' and such
> look seriously weird...)
>
> [ COMMENT looks fine to me TNEMMOC -John]

That would be preferable to actual Algol-68 syntax which seems to use
COMMENT ... COMMENT bracketing. If used to comment out blocks of code, you
can't tell, at a glance, whether any particular COMMENT is an opening or
closing one! It makes nested comments awkward too; a bit like using {,{
braces instead of {,}.

--
Bartc
[Algol68 used comment, co, #, or ¢ (a cent sign) in matching pairs