Formatting of Language LRMs

Seima Rao <seimarao@gmail.com>
Tue, 17 Jun 2014 16:54:12 +0530

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Formatting of Language LRMs seimarao@gmail.com (Seima Rao) (2014-06-17)
Re: Formatting of Language LRMs lpsantil@gmail.com (lpsantil@gmail.com) (2014-06-20)
Re: Formatting of Language LRMs ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2014-06-20)
Re: Formatting of Language LRMs gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2014-06-21)
Re: Formatting of Language LRMs kaz@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2014-06-21)
Re: Formatting of Language LRMs Pidgeot18@verizon.net.invalid (=?UTF-8?B?Sm9zaHVhIENyYW5tZXIg8J+Qpw==?=) (2014-06-22)
Re: VWG and K, was Formatting of Language LRMs ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2014-06-22)

From: Seima Rao <seimarao@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 16:54:12 +0530
Posted-Date: 20 Jun 2014 09:16:04 EDT

Hi,

        We are in a great era of infinite languages and sure standardizations.

      I myself keep studying a same few standards whenever there is free time.

      Some of the noticeable aspect about standards is that most of them
      tend to follow the same format: grammar in BNF, semantics in
      documentation. This is the pattern throughout.

      Therefore I am curious to know if there are other interesting formatting
      of language standards or language definitions such that the
      pattern is different?

        This sounds crazy but language designers tend to be geeky hence
      the curiousity.

Sincerely,
Seima Rao.
[People have tried lots of other definition schemes over the years, like railroad
diagrams in some Fortran standards and VDL in PL/I. BNF+text seems to be a workable
balance between formalisms and readability. The PL/I standard was notably opaque,
and its authors said "you don't have to understand it, just implement it" to which
the answer was "yeah, bugs and all." -John]