Re: Historical Implementations to Garbage Collectors

George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Wed, 07 May 2014 00:12:15 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Historical Implementations to Garbage Collectors kaz@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2014-05-05)
Re: Historical Implementations to Garbage Collectors numerist@aquaporin4.com (Charles Richmond) (2014-05-05)
Re: Historical Implementations to Garbage Collectors robin51@dodo.com.au (Robin Vowels) (2014-05-06)
Re: Historical Implementations to Garbage Collectors gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2014-05-06)
Re: Historical Implementations to Garbage Collectors acolvin@efunct.com (mac) (2014-05-06)
Re: Historical Implementations to Garbage Collectors genew@telus.net (Gene Wirchenko) (2014-05-06)
Re: Historical Implementations to Garbage Collectors gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2014-05-07)
Re: Historical Implementations to Garbage Collectors kaz@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2014-05-07)
Re: Historical Implementations to Garbage Collectors robin51@dodo.com.au (Robin Vowels) (2014-05-21)
Re: Historical Implementations to Garbage Collectors DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2014-05-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 00:12:15 -0400
Posted-Date: 09 May 2014 19:53:40 EDT

Our esteemed moderator wrote:

On Tue, 06 May 2014 10:55:03 -0400, George Neuner
<gneuner2@comcast.net> wrote:

>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_%28data_structure%29
>>

>[You don't need anything that fancy for strings to overlap. With null
>terminated readonly C-style strings, you can combine "storage" and
>"rage" and "age". Wih strings represented by a pointer and length,
>they can overlap anywhere.

Yes. Tricks like that were used frequently in memory constrained
implementations.

Pointer:length pairs permit multiple use of substrings, but don't
permit constructing a new string from arbitrary pieces of existing
ones. The tree representation can permit completely arbitrary
substring sharing.

Of course, given the small amount of memory available to early
implementations, tree representation of strings would have been
unworkable.

>To garbage collect those I'd think you'd need a per cell bitmap,
>unless you knew everything was 7-bit ASCII and used the high bit
>as the flag. -John]

Use of the high bits would be more likely because a separate bitmap
would require additional space equal to 1/8th of the string space.

However, further widening the "pointer" to a pointer:offset:length
triple would enable collection, and also compaction, of the string
space using Deutsch-Schorr-Waite on the pointers without having to
mark the characters at all.

George