Re: Programming language and IDE design

Jonathan Thornburg <jonathan@cobalt.astro.indiana.edu>
19 Nov 2013 19:39:05 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Programming language and IDE design jthorn@astro.indiana.edu (Jonathan Thornburg) (2013-11-10)
Re: Programming language and IDE design martin@gkc.org.uk (Martin Ward) (2013-11-16)
Re: Programming language and IDE design DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2013-11-16)
Re: Programming language and IDE design gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2013-11-18)
Re: Programming language and IDE design sgk@REMOVEtroutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steven G. Kargl) (2013-11-19)
Re: Programming language and IDE design gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2013-11-19)
Re: Programming language and IDE design jonathan@cobalt.astro.indiana.edu (Jonathan Thornburg) (2013-11-19)
Re: Programming language and IDE design wclodius@earthlink.net (2013-11-22)
Re: Programming language and IDE design robin51@dodo.com.au (robin) (2013-11-25)
Re: Programming language and IDE design martin@gkc.org.uk (Martin Ward) (2013-12-03)
Re: Programming language and IDE design DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2013-12-05)
Re: Programming language and IDE design hu47121@usenet.kitty.sub.org (2014-03-02)
Re: Programming language and IDE design gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2014-03-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jonathan Thornburg <jonathan@cobalt.astro.indiana.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Nov 2013 19:39:05 GMT
Posted-Date: 21 Nov 2013 11:16:34 EST

I asked:

Martin Ward <martin@gkc.org.uk> wrote:
> These questions are precisely why the IEEE 754 floating point standard
> was needed: it specifies precise answers to all these questions
> (without leaving anything "implementation dependent",
> other than extra information encoded in a NaN). See the paper
> "What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating Point":
>
> http://www.validlab.com/goldberg/paper.ps

The IEEE single-extended and double-extended formats define the
precision and exponent range as "implementation-dependent". You can
see this in table D-1 of the validlab.com version of Goldberg's paper
[which we should note was originally published in ACM Computing Surveys
23(1), March 1991, pages 5-48], and the immediately following sentence
      "The IEEE standard only specifies a lower bound on how many
        extra bits extended precision provides."
This means that whether or not certain operations overflow is indeed
implementation-dependent.

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn@astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
      Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA