The parser/scanner generator "syntaxis.jar"; a feature freeze

Evangelos Drikos <drikosev@otenet.gr>
Tue, 07 May 2013 15:17:27 +0300

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
The parser/scanner generator "syntaxis.jar"; a feature freeze drikosev@otenet.gr (Evangelos Drikos) (2013-05-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Evangelos Drikos <drikosev@otenet.gr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 15:17:27 +0300
Posted-Date: 07 May 2013 10:28:58 EDT

Hi,

This message describes the current status of Syntaxis [5]. In short,
I've fixed a few bugs, upgraded the tool to Java 7 and the C++ engines
to gcc 4.4. New features will not be added in the near future.

First, Syntaxis has been upgraded to compile and run with both Java 6
and Java 7. The Mac OS X specific application requires Java 7. The tool
has been tested with OpenJDK, Java HotSpot & J9 virtual machines on a
variety of systems, including Win XP, Vista, Red Hat, and Mac OS X. The
most stable environment seems to be the Java HotSpot 1.7 on Windows.

Second, the C++ parser engines compile with MSVC 2002 on XP, gcc 3.2 on
Red Hat 9, gcc 4.4 on Red Hat/CentOS 6.3, and on Mac OS X 10.7 with both
gcc 4.2 and Apple LLVM 4.0 compiler. One has to rewrite the C++ parser
engines to create a professional quality parser.

Third, the experimental LALR' Builder I've mentioned in a previous
message [2] seems to be relatively stable. The last bug I fixed (?) had
been found in lookaheads propagation. So, the workaround mentioned in
message [1] is no more necessary for that large, conflicts free, FORTRAN
parser. The only keyword recognized by the lexer with forward scanning
is the keyword "format". So, the technique described in [3] seems to be ok.

Last but not least, the demo version of Syntaxis remains available for
evaluation upon request; it includes the parser generator that creates
Java packed parsers [1&4]. I've tested it with gcj 3.4 via cygwin, gcj
4.4.6 on CentOS 6.3, javac/jar 1.6 and 1.7.

Regards,
Ev. Drikos

[1] "Syntaxis.jar"; Java packed parsers for text files
          http://compilers.iecc.com/comparch/article/13-02-012
[2] Syntaxis.jar; a new LALR'(1) Builder:
          http://compilers.iecc.com/comparch/article/12-09-010
[3] Syntaxis.jar; LALR parsing for languages with unreserved keywords
          http://compilers.iecc.com/comparch/article/11-11-015
[4] A Java parser generator (for strings):
          http://compilers.iecc.com/comparch/article/11-05-005
[5] Early access availability of a C++/Java PG
          http://compilers.iecc.com/comparch/article/06-01-075