Adding Blank Line In Source Causes Change In Executable

"Morris, John M CIV NSWCDD, Q34" <john.m.morris@navy.mil>
Tue, 6 Mar 2012 08:32:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Adding Blank Line In Source Causes Change In Executable john.m.morris@navy.mil (Morris, John M CIV NSWCDD, Q34) (2012-03-06)
Re: Adding Blank Line In Source Causes Change In Executable gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-03-06)
Re: Adding Blank Line In Source Causes Change In Executable bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2012-03-06)
Re: Adding Blank Line In Source Causes Change In Executable hokienerd@gmail.com (HOKIENERD) (2012-03-12)
Re: Adding Blank Line In Source Causes Change In Executable bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2012-03-13)
Re: Adding Blank Line In Source Causes Change In Executable gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-03-14)
Re: Adding Blank Line In Source Causes Change In Executable hokienerd@gmail.com (HOKIENERD) (2012-03-26)

From: "Morris, John M CIV NSWCDD, Q34" <john.m.morris@navy.mil>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 08:32:14 -0500
Posted-Date: 06 Mar 2012 13:41:00 EST

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have not been able to find any information on this subject. I think this question might be applicable to most compilers, but in my case I am using AdaCore's GPS development environment (which uses gcc I believe) to compile Ada programs for a 68040 processor. I am not intentionally including debug information in my builds.

I've noticed that if I add one blank line to a source file (e.g., I hit <Enter> right before the last assignment statement in the Ada file) and recompile, I get a different output/binary/executable file. (In this example, only one byte in the executable is different, and it is 1 greater than the original value. If I hit <Enter> 3 times and recompile, the byte is 3 greater than the original value.)

I assumed that blank lines in the source would have no impact on the executable, but that appears to be incorrect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
John