Re: PL/I, was Parser generator

Robert AH Prins <robert@prino.org>
Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:42:13 +0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Parser generator drb@msu.edu (2012-01-08)
Re: Parser generator gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-01-08)
Re: Parser generator arnold@skeeve.com (2012-01-11)
Re: PL/I, was Parser generator drb@ihatespam.msu.edu (2012-01-11)
Re: PL/I, was Parser generator robert@prino.org (Robert AH Prins) (2012-01-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Robert AH Prins <robert@prino.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:42:13 +0000
Posted-Date: 12 Jan 2012 02:02:54 EST

On 2012-01-11 20:06, Aharon Robbins wrote:
> glen herrmannsfeldt<gah@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>> Dennis Boone<drb@msu.edu> wrote:
>> One reason that I learned C was that none of the computers I was using
>> at the time had PL/I compilers. PL/I was much more fun to write than
>> Fortran 66 or even Fortran 77.
>
> Are there PL/I compilers available for modern platforms? E.g. Windows,
> Linux 32 and 64 bit Intel, sparc, power pc, etc.... (I see there was
> a start at one for GCC.)

Yes, IBM sells a PL/I compiler for Windows, though not separately. It's
part of the USD 5,800(ish) RDz product, but a free 60-day trial is
available. The compiler is currently at the same level as z/OS
Enterprise PL/I V4R1, but there have been rumors that the product is
being deprecated, and according to the current chairman of the German
GSE PL/I-Cobol group, nobody of those present at a meeting of this group
in Germany last year was actually using the product when asked by one of
the IBM developers...

Another indication of it possibly being deprecated is the fact that IBM
refuses to acknowledge a severe bug in the product, despite being told
about this almost 18 months ago.

Another PL/I compiler is being developed by Iron Spring Software
<http://www.iron-spring.com/index.html>, for Linux and OS/2(!)...

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins