Re: Any free compilers for 64-bit integer arithmetics?

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 03:28:20 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Any free compilers for 64-bit integer arithmetics? mok-kong.shen@t-online.de (Mok-Kong Shen) (2011-09-20)
Re: Any free compilers for 64-bit integer arithmetics? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2011-09-21)
Re: Any free compilers for 64-bit integer arithmetics? bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2011-09-22)
Re: Any free compilers for 64-bit integer arithmetics? mok-kong.shen@t-online.de (Mok-Kong Shen) (2011-09-24)
Re: Any free compilers for 64-bit integer arithmetics? bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2011-09-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 03:28:20 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 22 Sep 2011 22:22:39 EDT

Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@t-online.de> wrote:

> I want to do unsigned integer arithmetics on 64-bit opearands running
> on 64-bit Windows. Are there any free compilers of any higher-level
> language (higher than assembly language) that could be used for that
> purpose? Thanks.

Many compilers will do unsigned (and signed) 64 bit arithmetic even on
32 bit machines. For free compilers, gcc is very popular.

Most processors offer addition and subtraction at their native width,
multiplication with a double width product, and divide with a double
width dividend. If you want more, you, or the library of your
compiler, have to combine those as needed. Add, subtract, and
multiply are easy, divide is a little harder.

Java, also available free, supports a 64 bit type (long).

-- glen