Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compilers

"BartC" <bc@freeuk.com>
Tue, 9 Aug 2011 12:06:15 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compilers amit.codename13@gmail.com (amit karmakar) (2011-08-06)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler bumens@dingens.org (Volker Birk) (2011-08-06)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB) (2011-08-06)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2011-08-09)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2011-08-10)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler haberg-news@telia.com (Hans Aberg) (2011-08-10)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler jgk@panix.com (2011-08-27)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB) (2011-08-31)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler thomas.mertes@gmx.at (tm) (2011-08-30)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler torbenm@diku.dk (2011-08-31)

From: "BartC" <bc@freeuk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 12:06:15 +0100
Posted-Date: 09 Aug 2011 11:23:18 EDT

"amit karmakar" <amit.codename13@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I am an undergraduate in computer science. I have been reading about
> compilers recently. I wish to do a project as a part of my study
> course in a time span of 6 months. I am pretty much aware of the fact
> that projects on compilers require much time.
>
> I would like to have some suggestions as to what *new* and
> *innovative* project i can do which are based on compiler design.
> Also, considering the time i have to implement the compiler, i can
> think of cutting down work, like working on subset of a language. I
> would preferably not tend to work on only a specific part(phase) of
> compiler. It will be better if I implement a complete compiler for
> some architecture and see the executable running.

Don't have any specific suggestions except to say I did a similar sort of
project for my undergraduate course.

I was handed a 3-inch thick assembler listing, of a half-finished port of an
existing compiler, and told to get it working!

In fact I just started again, and for good measure implemented the language
(a very simple one that could only just about be called high-level) in
itself (which I thought was neat, although my supervisor wasn't that
impressed..).

And yes it is more satisfying to have something that is all your own work
and that also works exactly as expected!

--
Bartc