Re: Language Design

torbenm@diku.dk (Torben Ęgidius Mogensen)
Mon, 08 Aug 2011 16:11:05 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Re: Language Design christophe.de.dinechin@gmail.com (Christophe de Dinechin) (2011-07-23)
Re: Language Design osesov@gmail.com (Oleg Sesov) (2011-07-23)
Re: Language Design gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2011-07-26)
Re: Language Design thomas.mertes@gmx.at (tm) (2011-07-27)
Re: Language Design usenet@rwaltman.com (Roberto Waltman) (2011-07-28)
Re: Language Design s_dubrovich@yahoo.com (s_dubrovich@yahoo.com) (2011-08-04)
Re: Language Design torbenm@diku.dk (2011-08-08)
Language design David.Chase@Eng.Sun.COM (1991-09-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: torbenm@diku.dk (Torben Ęgidius Mogensen)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 16:11:05 +0200
Posted-Date: 08 Aug 2011 17:58:46 EDT

Gene <gene.ressler@gmail.com> writes:

> The old Turbo Pascal 2.0 dialect was pretty remarkable. There was a
> version for Z80 (CP/M) and 8086 (MSDOS). I think the whole compiler
> was only 50K or so.

[...]

> Pascal is also straightforward to compile, especially if you don't
> allow nested functions/procedures (although Turbo did).

Turbo Pascal used shallow binding, which makes nested procedures
relatively simple to implement, though it made reference parameters
behave in a non-standard way.

With shallow binding, each variable name has its own global memory
address. When you during execution pass a variable declaration, you
stack the current value of the variable and set the new value according
to the declaration. When you exit the scope of the declaration, you
restore the old value from the stack.

IIRC, later versions of Turbo Pascal changed this to be more standard
compliant (i.e., by using deep binding).

Torben