Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compilers

Volker Birk <bumens@dingens.org>
Sat, 6 Aug 2011 19:08:36 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compilers amit.codename13@gmail.com (amit karmakar) (2011-08-06)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler bumens@dingens.org (Volker Birk) (2011-08-06)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB) (2011-08-06)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2011-08-09)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2011-08-10)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler haberg-news@telia.com (Hans Aberg) (2011-08-10)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler jgk@panix.com (2011-08-27)
Re: Need an interesting topic for an undergraduate project on Compiler cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB) (2011-08-31)

From: Volker Birk <bumens@dingens.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 19:08:36 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 06 Aug 2011 20:59:00 EDT

amit karmakar <amit.codename13@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am an undergraduate in computer science. I have been reading about
> compilers recently. I wish to do a project as a part of my study
> course in a time span of 6 months. I am pretty much aware of the fact
> that projects on compilers require much time.

That's not true anymore for every project. As an example, the first
version of this easy compiler I was implementing in just three work
days by copying the grammar out of the PDF with the standard:

http://www.x-pie.de/iec2xml/

After those three days it was used productively in a project. And you
can learn how to do so, too.

> I would like to have some suggestions as to what *new* and
> *innovative* project i can do which are based on compiler design.
> Also, considering the time i have to implement the compiler, i can
> think of cutting down work, like working on subset of a language. I
> would preferably not tend to work on only a specific part(phase) of
> compiler. It will be better if I implement a complete compiler for
> some architecture and see the executable running.

If you want to compile a programming language to assembler code, then
I'm recommending to use a PEG based parsing toolchain, and some
functional language or dynamical scripting language to play around. This
is making things much more easy for you to learn.

And this is good enough to learn how to do it in more statically
languages, too, because the principles will be the same.

Yours,
VB.