Re: Maintaining scope while parsing C with a YACC grammar

eliben <eliben@gmail.com>
Thu, 28 Apr 2011 23:20:09 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Maintaining scope while parsing C with a YACC grammar eliben@gmail.com (eliben) (2011-04-25)
Re: Maintaining scope while parsing C with a YACC grammar bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2011-04-26)
Re: Maintaining scope while parsing C with a YACC grammar eliben@gmail.com (eliben) (2011-04-28)
Re: Maintaining scope while parsing C with a YACC grammar bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2011-05-02)
Re: Maintaining scope while parsing C with a YACC grammar torbenm@diku.dk (2011-05-03)
Re: Maintaining scope while parsing C with a YACC grammar paul@paulbmann.com (Paul B Mann) (2011-05-06)
Re: Maintaining scope while parsing C with a YACC grammar idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2011-05-13)
Maintaining scope while parsing C with a Yacc grammar cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2011-06-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: eliben <eliben@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 23:20:09 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 02 May 2011 00:49:33 EDT

On Apr 26, 7:22 pm, Robert A Duff <bobd...@shell01.TheWorld.com>
wrote:
> eliben <eli...@gmail.com> writes:
> > [There's a couple of possibilities. One is to add separate rules for
> > the open and close braces with action code that increments and
> > decrements the nesting level, so you know when you reduce the
> > declaration what scope it is in. Another is to parse the whole thing
> > into an AST without trying to interpret the symbols other than making
> > pointers to a generic symbol table entry per name, then walk the AST
> > and add the scope and type info. Perhaps people will have other
> > suggestions. -John]
>
> I strongly recommend the "build a tree" solution. It might seem like
> a lot of trouble at first, but it will simplify things in the long
> run.
>
> Do all the interesting work during a subsequent walk of the tree. Or
> multiple walks.

Since it's parsing of C I'm talking about, this approach will have to
somehow handle ambiguity of this kind:

T * x;

This can be either a declaration or a multiplication, depending on
earlier symbol table information (whether T is a type or not).

So are you proposing to build an ambiguous AST that contains *both*
parses and resolve between them in later passes? Or just pick one and
maybe modify it later? Do you have references (papers, books, etc.)
explaining this technique?

Thanks in advance