Re: Looking for a real Fortran-66 compatible PC compiler (CP/M or DOS or at least also Windows, doesn't matter)

steve <kargls@comcast.net>
Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:56:59 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for a real Fortran-66 compatible PC compiler (CP/M or DOS or a z80eu@arcor.de (Peter Dassow) (2010-12-26)
Re: Looking for a real Fortran-66 compatible PC compiler (CP/M or DOS prenom_nomus@yahoo.com (Marco) (2010-12-27)
Looking for a real Fortran-66 compatible PC compiler (CP/M or DOS or a compilers@is-not-my.name (2010-12-30)
Re: Looking for a real Fortran-66 compatible PC compiler (CP/M or DOS kargls@comcast.net (steve) (2010-12-31)
Re: Looking for a real Fortran-66 compatible PC compiler (CP/M or DOS gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2011-01-02)
Re: Looking for a real Fortran-66 compatible PC compiler (CP/M or DOS gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2011-01-03)
Re: Looking for a real Fortran-66 compatible PC compiler (CP/M or DOS robin51@dodo.com.au (robin) (2011-01-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: steve <kargls@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:56:59 -0800 (PST)
Posted-Date: 01 Jan 2011 22:17:59 EST

On Dec 30, 7:46 am, compil...@is-not-my.name wrote:

> From a little time searching the web I found a thread here:
>
> http://lists.apple.com/archives/fortran-dev/2009/Mar/threads.html
>
> reading through it suggests a modern compliant compiler should compile
> compliant code from the old days. One of the great things about old
> languages, especially old languages IBM supported, is almost everything
> that used to work 50 years ago still does today.

This is almost true. Fortran 95 has short list of deleted features
(e.g., REAL do-loop index). Most (all?) modern compilers still
implement the deleted feature. More importantly there are two
F66 features that most (all?) modern compilers do not implement.
I cannot remember one and would need to pull out my copy
of F66 to find it. The other feature is the extended do loop.
From F66:

    7.1.2.8.2 A DO is said to have an EXTENDED RANGE if both
    of the following conditions apply:

    (1) There exists a GO TO statement or arithmetic IF
    statement within the range of the innermost DO of a
    completely nested nest that can cause control to pass
    out that nest.

    (2) There exists a GO TO statement of arithmetic IF
    statement not within the nest that, in the collection
    of all possible sequences of execution in the particular
    program unit, could be executed after a statement of the
    type described in (1), and the execution of which could
    cause control to return into the range of the innermost
    DO of the completely nested nest.

This looks like an early attempt at exception handling.

> Therefore,http://www.gfortran.org/might be a good first stop. I don't
> know if they have a Windows version but they (gcc) usually do have
> somebody building Windows installers.

Yes, there are windows builds. Go to the gfortran wiki.
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran

If OP doesn't want to bother with installing gfortran, I'm more
than willing to throw his code at gfortran. Feel free to contact
me off list.
--
steve