Re: Looking for x86 code-generator for Small-C

"Fred J. Scipione" <FredJScipione@alum.RPI.edu>
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 22:07:55 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for x86 code-generator for Small-C neptune.poseidon789@gmail.com (Andy Elvey) (2010-09-26)
Re: Looking for x86 code-generator for Small-C gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-09-29)
Re: Looking for x86 code-generator for Small-C FredJScipione@alum.RPI.edu (Fred J. Scipione) (2010-09-29)
Re: Looking for x86 code-generator for Small-C ArarghMail009@Arargh.com (2010-09-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Fred J. Scipione" <FredJScipione@alum.RPI.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 22:07:55 -0400
Posted-Date: 29 Sep 2010 23:28:52 EDT

"Andy Elvey" <neptune.poseidon789@gmail.com> wrote in message
....<snip>...> So, I was wondering - does anyone know of someone who may
have
> updated this compiler to generate code for x86? I did a search of this
> group just before joining, and although I saw a couple of "updated
> Small-C" topics, they were for Motorola processors.
> Doing a code-generator myself looks out of my league. I can
> understand assembly in "small pieces" (as in a bootloader), but doing
> a code-generator looks like a "very big ask".
> So, if anyone knows of an x86 code-gen for Small-C, then I'd love to
> know about it! If it's public-domain, that's even better (my little
> Small-C project is P.D., as Small-C itself is, and I'm a keen P.D.
> weenie... :) )

I think you are looking for version 2.2. It targets the 8086 with
small code snippets for each p-code. You can start with James
Hendrix's site http://www.oxaero.com/Jim.asp, or the Dr. Dobb's
Small-C Resource CD can still be purchased at
https://store.ddj.com/product/8/Small-C-Resource. There are other
8086 and 'x86 versions available, but the 2.2 branch probably best
fits your style. The Dr. Dobb's CD has copies of articles and books
that should be helpful to you, too.

If you send me a private email, I can arrange for you to get a
'snap-shot' of my not-ready-for-prime-time version 2.2.1. It has some
corrections, extensions, additional optimizations, etc. The sources
have more extensive comments, and I have segregated the host dependent
and the target dependent information with separate headers, macros,
etc. There is code for both the compiler and SmallA assembler that
works with the 'free' VAL linker and the FreeDOS librarian. The code
can be auto-compiled or cross-compiled by K&R or ANSI compilers. You
should be able to extend it to work in 32 bit mode on 'x86 cpu's
easily enough. Look for my email address in the Google group's
comp.os.cpm archives. The documentation for my changes is pretty
slim, but maybe you can help get it started by capturing an email Q&A
stream with me.