Re: Purple Dragon Book: Newbie questions on Chapter 4 text.

Felipe Angriman <felipeangriman@gmail.com>
Wed, 9 Jun 2010 21:32:07 -0300

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Purple Dragon Book: Newbie questions on Chapter 4 text. simonsharry@gmail.com (Harry) (2010-06-08)
Re: Purple Dragon Book: Newbie questions on Chapter 4 text. Pidgeot18@verizon.invalid (Joshua Cranmer) (2010-06-09)
Re: Purple Dragon Book: Newbie questions on Chapter 4 text. felipeangriman@gmail.com (Felipe Angriman) (2010-06-09)
Re: Purple Dragon Book: Newbie questions on Chapter 4 text. simonsharry@gmail.com (Harry) (2010-06-10)
Re: Purple Dragon Book: Newbie questions on Chapter 4 text. cdodd@acm.org (Chris Dodd) (2010-06-12)
Re: Purple Dragon Book: Newbie questions on Chapter 4 text. felipeangriman@gmail.com (Felipe Angriman) (2010-06-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Felipe Angriman <felipeangriman@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 21:32:07 -0300
Posted-Date: 10 Jun 2010 05:27:29 EDT

I will answer partially to the first question with a trivial grammar.

> Question 1. Page 223, last para
>
> "A grammar G is LL(1) if and only if whenever A -> alpha | beta are
> two distinct productions of G, the following conditions hold:
>
> 1. For no terminal 'a' do both alpha and beta derive strings
> beginning with 'a'.
>
> 2. At most one of alpha and beta can derive the empty string.
>
> 3. If beta *=> epsilon, then alpha does not derive any string
> beginning with a terminal in FOLLOW(A). Likewise, if
> alpha *=> epsilon, then beta does not derive any string beginning
> with a terminal in FOLLOW(A).
>
> [Continued on next page]
>
> The third condition is equivalent to stating that if epsilon is
> in FIRST(beta), then FIRST(alpha) and FOLLOW(A) are disjoint
> sets, and likewise if epsilon is in FIRST(alpha)."
>
> Now...
> Why is condition 3 even required for LL(1), is my question. I mean,
> why aren't conditions 1 and 2 enough to remove the ambiguity in the
> choice of productions which should then allow the parsing process to
> continue?

Say you have a grammar like this

1. S -> A a
2. A -> a
3. A -> [epsilon]

where [epsilon] is the null string.

Now for Production rule 1 all tree condition are met.
However for Production rule 2 and 3 just condition 1 and 2 are met.

Basically the third condition is stating that the Select-Set(k) with k
= 1 for production rules with the same non terminal must be disjoint.

In the case above the Select-Set(k) with k = 1 for rules 2 and 3 is { a }.

This means that when the parser need to make a choice between
production rule 2 or 3 it will no be able to make such a choice
because the select set are not disjoint.

In this particular case this can be addressed by rewriting the grammar
or by adding lookahead, but that is a thing for a different thread.

HTH,
Felipe