Re: How to implement lexical closures?

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Thu, 20 May 2010 12:34:33 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: How to implement lexical closures? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-05-15)
Re: How to implement lexical closures? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2010-05-16)
Re: How to implement lexical closures? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-05-17)
Re: How to implement lexical closures? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2010-05-17)
Re: How to implement lexical closures? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2010-05-19)
Re: How to implement lexical closures? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2010-05-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 12:34:33 GMT
Posted-Date: 20 May 2010 15:25:57 EDT

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:
>The IBM PL/I compilers that are not subset have tasks, not threads.
>
>OS/360 MVT (Multitasking with a Variable number of Tasks)
>has the appropriate support for subtasking. Since OS/360 runs
>everything in one address space, it isn't so easy to say
>what the difference is between threads and tasks.

My impression is that "task" is a less refined concept. When you have
an OS that supports running multiple things at the same time, it's
called multi-tasking. When the OS has separate address spaces, and
each task has an address space, the tasks are called processes. If,
in a system with separate address spaces, you have several tasks
sharing an address space, they are called threads. Also, I have used
"task" when talking about a system that has an n:m relationship
between tasks (as visible to the programmer) and threads (as visible
to the OS, aka kernel threads).

- anton
--
M. Anton Ertl