Decompiler, Expression Propagation, Intermediate Representation problems

Rebel Lion <r3831110n@gmail.com>
Sun, 9 May 2010 09:51:14 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Decompiler, Expression Propagation, Intermediate Representation proble r3831110n@gmail.com (Rebel Lion) (2010-05-09)
Re: Decompiler, Expression Propagation, Intermediate Representation pr jsinger@cs.man.ac.uk (Jeremy Singer) (2010-05-11)
Re: Decompiler, Expression Propagation, Intermediate Representation pr r3831110n@gmail.com (Rebel Lion) (2010-05-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Rebel Lion <r3831110n@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 09:51:14 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 09 May 2010 16:05:34 EDT

Hi guys,

          I'm an confused newbie to compilers and have to find some
answers:

(1) Expression Propagation Problem

I'm implementing a decompiler with some data-flow optimizations
therefore I build complex expression from simple assignments e.g.

c = a + b
e = c + d

they will be the following after expression propagation

c = a + b
e = a + b + d

in a situation it's not safe:

c = a + b
e = c + d
a = 1
some_use(e) ; we must forbid the propagation of e = c+d since a = 1
kills c = a + b so does e = c + d

Now is the question: How to efficently/correctly implement this
propagation? What's the analysis' name in theory?

(2) Intermediate Representation

      SSA form seems awesome but in reversing engineering, memory, stack,
register alias everywhere. as far as I know, SSA represention for
memory/array is not good because of the complexity of point alias or
deep down halting problem

      How to representation of the following memory derference code in
SSA form?

      [sp] = a
      [sp] = b

      or

      eax = 123
      bx = ax

      Also, PUSH/POP is hard to analyze too. e.g.

      push 1
      b = [sp]
      pop a

Discussion: What a good IR for decompilation should be?

(3) Lattice Theory

What the hell it is? Many lecture mentions the lattice. I'm completely
baffled by the mathamatics symbols.

Regards,