Re: Is that difficult to write a Shift-Reduce parser

russell kym horsell <kym@sdf.lonestar.org>
Sat, 1 May 2010 05:08:44 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is that difficult to write a Shift-Reduce parser kuangpma@gmail.com (kuangpma) (2010-04-29)
Re: Is that difficult to write a Shift-Reduce parser kym@sdf.lonestar.org (russell kym horsell) (2010-05-01)
Is that difficult to write a Shift-Reduce parser chakaram@auth.gr (Chariton Karamitas) (2010-05-02)
Re: Is that difficult to write a Shift-Reduce parser rpw3@rpw3.org (2010-05-01)
Re: Is that difficult to write a Shift-Reduce parser cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2010-05-02)
Re: Is that difficult to write a Shift-Reduce parser dot@dotat.at (Tony Finch) (2010-05-04)
Re: Is that difficult to write a Shift-Reduce parser sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2010-05-07)
Re: Is that difficult to write a Shift-Reduce parser rpw3@rpw3.org (2010-05-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: russell kym horsell <kym@sdf.lonestar.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 05:08:44 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 01 May 2010 11:13:17 EDT

kuangpma <kuangpma@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am learning compiler theory, several books teach how to write (even
> with source code) a Recursive Decent parser but not Shift Reduce
> parser, only tell the theroy behind it. Particularly the Louden book,
> it says that handcrafting a Shift Reduce parser is very difficult so
> it suggests to use tools such like yacc to generate the parser.

There are various shift/reduce stategies. Most modern texts probably
assume or are locked onto LR(k) or LALR as the only S/R method around.

Some old stuff is fairly easy to understand. E.g. the precedence
grammar idea or -- even more pedagogic -- operator precedence.

Usually S/R parsers have a fixed "engine" that is driven by tables.
Making the tables compact takes up a lot of the intelligibility bandwidth.
But some very old co-no ("current operator -- next operator") parsers(*)
were nothing more than a fancy 2-d switch statement.

> So my question is that why Shift Reduce parser is difficult to write?
> Is really impossible (well, relatively) to write it?

In the old days people (yes, actual people) used to create the tables for
S/R parsers by hand. So it can't be hard, can it?

Again, try Wikipedia for an introduction.

===
(*) Yes, John, I'm talking about compilers that took 80 column cards as input.
[Yes, I used them too. It sounds like you're talking about operator
precedence expression parsers, which are simpler than what we usually refer
to as shift/reduce. -John]