Code Smell

Francisco Garcia <frankalahan@gmail.com>
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 04:08:33 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Code Smell frankalahan@gmail.com (Francisco Garcia) (2010-03-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Francisco Garcia <frankalahan@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 04:08:33 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 15 Mar 2010 21:59:01 EDT

Hello! A couple of days ago I posted one question about the current
status of XML-based source code representation (its AST). The
objective of the question is that I wanted to start a small GPL tool
to measure code smell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_smell

I want a tool to check some style conventions taking as reference some
popular programming books such as Code Complete (McConnell) or The
Pragmatic Programmer (Hunt and Thomas)

The doubt regarding AST -> XML is that I wanted a layer that could
make such tool as much language independent as possible. Furthermore
it will mostly be an exercise to improve my skills programming with
XML and OOP concepts.

So far most of the analysis tools I have seen are language dependent
and do not target code smell. Also I am having problems to find GPL
tools originated from software metrics articles.

I will invest a great deal of time at the end of this month. I would
like to know if somebody could provide me with some reference to
similar solutions, although with the answers provided so far from my
previous questions I got a good starting point to make some personal
research.

My main interest will be the skills I can learn in that time, but if
there are no similar solutions and people become interested, I will
invest more time in it.

kind regards,
Francisco Garcia

http://de.linkedin.com/in/frankgarcia
http://www.digital-lumberjack.com
[All tools are language dependent, but you can try to work on
a common subset of semantically similar languages, e.g., expressions
and assignments in Fortran-like languages such as C and Pascal. -John]