Re: Generic AST in XML for any language

Manuel Collado <mcollado@fi.upm.es>
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 23:11:07 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Generic AST in XML for any language frankalahan@gmail.com (Kalahan) (2010-03-11)
Re: Generic AST in XML for any language idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2010-03-13)
Re: Generic AST in XML for any language cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2010-03-13)
Re: Generic AST in XML for any language davide.grandi@mclink.it (2010-03-14)
Re: Generic AST in XML for any language mcollado@fi.upm.es (Manuel Collado) (2010-03-14)
Re: Generic AST in XML for any language krzikalla@gmx.de (Olaf Krzikalla) (2010-03-15)
Re: Generic AST in XML for any language nikolaos.kavvadias@gmail.com (Nikolaos Kavvadias) (2010-03-18)
Re: Generic AST in XML for any language DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2010-03-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Manuel Collado <mcollado@fi.upm.es>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 23:11:07 +0100
Posted-Date: 15 Mar 2010 01:09:30 EDT

Kalahan escribis:
> Does anyone knows if there is such thing as an standard to represent
> the basic elements of a language (functions, variables, classes)? And
> generated in XML?
>
> I know that the title might be misleading about the meaning of an AST
> but I have a project in mind and I don't want to replycate work. Also
> that might be aiming too high if we start adding functional languages,
> aspect oriented programming, etc
>
> Also I would appreciate if you could point me to projects where I can
> get a good XML representation of a source file.

This is my own compilation on this topic (and related ones):

        http://lml.ls.fi.upm.es/~mcollado/emu-code/emu-code-other.html

There was also the "Turtles" project, part of the Thomas Crutcher
Dunnavants' Master Thesis:

"Turtles is a XSLT+flex+bison+libxml transform system which takes as
input a domain language description, and yields a transform program
which takes the described domain language as input, and yields an XML
AST as output; beginning the process of bridging the gap between
external data forms, and XML forms suitable for XSLT transforms."

http://www.unix.eng.ua.edu/~crutcher/unorganized/tmp_paper/paper.1.xml

http://monket.samedi-studios.com/software/turtles/

If you ever develop a similar tool, and make it publicly available,
please let me know.

Regards.
--
Manuel Collado - http://lml.ls.fi.upm.es/~mcollado