Re: Easiest Parsing Book

Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeot18@verizon.invalid>
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 11:44:06 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Easiest Parsing Book mudgen@gmail.com (Nick Mudge) (2010-03-05)
Re: Easiest Parsing Book Pidgeot18@verizon.invalid (Joshua Cranmer) (2010-03-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeot18@verizon.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 11:44:06 -0500
Posted-Date: 05 Mar 2010 15:32:14 EST

On 03/05/2010 03:49 AM, Nick Mudge wrote:
> It seems that parsing is a hard subject to learn. I was wondering what
> would be recommended as the very easiest books on the subject. The
> most basic, beginner, easiest books on parsing. Is there no parsing
> for dummies?

Most introductory compiler books probably have at least a section on
parsing. The book that my university used for the course that dealt
with parsing was Compiler Construction: Principles and Practice by
Kenneth Louden; chapters 4 and 5 made a rather approachable
introduction to parsing, to me at least. That said, I have too few
data points to adequately assess its relative quality.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth