Re: RFC: project directions...

jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk
Sat, 26 Sep 2009 04:43:44 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
RFC: project directions... cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2009-09-14)
Re: RFC: project directions... jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk (2009-09-19)
Re: RFC: project directions... cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2009-09-21)
Re: RFC: project directions... jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk (2009-09-26)
Re: RFC: project directions... cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2009-09-26)
Re: RFC: project directions... jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk (2009-10-03)
Re: RFC: project directions... cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2009-10-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 04:43:44 -0500
Posted-Date: 26 Sep 2009 08:33:35 EDT

cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) wrote:

> > I'd expect that using your own calling convention, while it may
> > offer up-front savings in effort, will become a millstone with
> > time. It's probably going to be best to bite the bullet now, and
> > save the effort of switching at a later date.
>
> the problem is that this would not allow compiling code in a form
> which would work on both Win64 and Linux x86-64, meaning that
> everything would need to be compiled fresh for each platform.

Yes. Is that such a big problem? It's the way C and C++ usually work at
present.

It's only one example, but my main employment is in maintaining build
systems for large apps on a wide range of platforms, and being able to
build Linux x86-64 on Windows x64, or vice-versa, wouldn't be especially
useful to me. If a single platform could also build 32-bit x86 Windows
and Linux, ditto 32-bit and 64-bit Mac OS X, plus AIX/POWER,
Solaris/SPARC, and HP-UX/PA-RISC+Itanium, then it would be worth
considering. But it still wouldn't be an automatic choice by any means:
running the testing still has to be done on all the individual
platforms, and machines powerful enough to do that can do the builds with
conventional tools quite quickly.

> I may as well almost go to the extreme of full-on bytecode while I am
> at it, so that I could use the same code for x86 and x86-64.

Seems like a better option to me. Still have to test it separately on
all the platforms, though.

--
John Dallman, jgd@cix.co.uk, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.