Opinions on putting Yacc++ documentation online

Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 00:27:29 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Opinions on putting Yacc++ documentation online cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2009-08-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 00:27:29 -0400
Posted-Date: 31 Aug 2009 15:26:46 EDT

To go with the free (gratis) version of Yacc++ that we've released, it
would be useful to have all the doumentation online in some convenient
to access form. There are about 1k pages of documentation.

My first thought is to put into a Wiki, but doing a blog or soemthing
else that can be read online would be an option. Any suggestions
would be appreciated. Note, one of the criteria is that since this
work is related to software that we will give away and not be charging
for, a low cost solution would be particularly appropriate.

For anyone not wishing to crowd this newsgroup with this topic, I
will accept private email and summarize to the group.

Thanks,
-Chris

Chris Clark Internet: christopher.f.clark@compiler-resources.com
Compiler Resources, Inc. or: compres@world.std.com
23 Bailey Rd Web Site: http://world.std.com/~compres
Berlin, MA 01503 voice: (508) 435-5016
USA fax: (978) 838-0263 (24 hours)
[My inclination would be to turn it into interlinked web pages, along the lines
of the mysql manual. If your doc is in a reasonably structured format you can
probably find tools that can be tweaked to produce the pages. A decade ago my
publisher wanted a CD to go along with our big fat book on Windows XP, so I wrote
some scripts that parsed the RTF version of the manuscript, carved it up at each
subheading, and produced a nice set of HTML pages that you could look at in a browser.
Dealing with the junk in the RTF was the hard part, pouring the text into a few HTML
templates and creating the links was easy. -John]