Re: Using FORTH as target machine?

russell kym horsell <kym@svalbard.freeshell.org>
Wed, 29 Jul 2009 03:53:24 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Re: Using FORTH as target machine? cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2009-07-25)
Re: Using FORTH as target machine? blog@rivadpm.com (alextangent) (2009-07-26)
Re: Using FORTH as target machine? joevans@gmail.com (Jason Evans) (2009-07-27)
Re: Using FORTH as target machine? pjk@bcs.org.uk (Peter Knaggs) (2009-07-28)
Re: Using FORTH as target machine? akk@nospam.org (Andreas) (2009-07-28)
Re: Using FORTH as target machine? kym@svalbard.freeshell.org (russell kym horsell) (2009-07-29)
Re: Using FORTH as target machine? jacob@nospam.org (jacob navia) (2009-07-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: russell kym horsell <kym@svalbard.freeshell.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 03:53:24 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 29 Jul 2009 08:42:06 EDT

BGB / cr88192 <cr88192@hotmail.com> wrote:
} <mailings@jmksf.com> wrote in message news:09-07-080@comp.compilers...
} > I've got some questions about things relating to the topics of compiler
} > backends and target languages dealing with the Forth programming language.
} >
} > While crawling the web, I was unable to find out a compiler that uses
} > Forth as its target language. But in my opinion, compiling a
} > higher-level language into Forth code is a great deal between using a
} > standardized lower-level and widely spread programming language and its
} > platform-independency. There are even CPUs which are capable of
} > executing Forth.
} >
} > So, does anyone know about a compiler-project or similar software that
} > uses Forth as its destination? And if not - would it be wrong to compile
} > code into sequences of Forth definitions and words? Why?
} FORTH proper is generally not used.
} however, loosely FORTH-like backends are, actually, fairly common...
} for example, I use a backend which was, to some extent, inspired by
} PostScript...

Now that takes me back a couple decades. :)

I worked on a "low cost computer" for schools in what was then called the
3rd world that wsa based on translating several languages, incl C and FORTRAN,
to PS.

The "object code" (making heavy use of some of those niec associative array
and block-nesting features of PS) was then run directly on low-cost printers.

The C compiler was self-hosting, but there turned out not to be enough
interest to get the FORTRAN compiler ('77 of course) running on a printer. ;)