Managing the JIT

Philip Herron <herron.philip@googlemail.com>
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 01:15:21 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Managing the JIT herron.philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) (2009-07-22)
Re: Managing the JIT echristo@gmail.com (Eric Christopher) (2009-07-24)
Re: Managing the JIT herron.philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) (2009-07-25)
Re: Managing the JIT armelasselin@hotmail.com (Armel) (2009-07-25)
Re: Managing the JIT herron.philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) (2009-07-27)
Re: Managing the JIT cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2009-07-27)
Re: Managing the JIT cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2009-07-28)

From: Philip Herron <herron.philip@googlemail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 01:15:21 +0100
Posted-Date: 24 Jul 2009 18:28:26 EDT

Hey guys

I have been doing a lot of work on my own interpreter and have been
looking and reading up a lot of llvm to build a jit compiler for the
runtime eventually. Anyways so from my understanding, Jit compilation
from scratch.

Say we have a function in 'a' language

int multiply( int x , int y )
{
  return x*y;
}

So to 'just in time compile' this we would generate the appropriate code
for your architecture, to multiply and return the result. Thats fine, so
say we generated this assembly and assembled it, then what do you do? I
mean you can't just have tonnes of small binaries in /tmp that you some
how manage in your runtime to keep ./tmp_multiply and read the result or
something. I am having trouble finding more stuff on how this works
would be great if you could point me in the right direction?! :)

--Phil
http://redbrain.co.uk
[If I were doing a JIT compiler, I would store the generated code in RAM. If you're putting
it in files, that's not JIT, that's ordinary dynamic linking. -John]