How are string literals represented internally by compilers?

"Tony" <tony@my.net>
Fri, 19 Jun 2009 22:45:46 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How are string literals represented internally by compilers? tony@my.net (Tony) (2009-06-19)
Re: How are string literals represented internally by compilers? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2009-06-21)
Re: How are string literals represented internally by compilers? walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2009-06-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Tony" <tony@my.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 22:45:46 -0500
Posted-Date: 21 Jun 2009 16:51:26 EDT

I don't remember reading about how string literals are represented in any of
the books I have. Until I go back and scour those for the info (assuming it
is there), I'll ask here. How are string literals represented internally by
compilers? I assume that it's probably null-terminated character string for
C and C++ and some kind of length-prefixed thing for Pascal in a specially
designated data segment area and then just some sort of pointer for a given
literal is placed in the code, yes?
[It's language specific, but for these examples, yes. -John]