Re: C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes?

Jeremy Bennett <jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com>
Thu, 11 Jun 2009 04:57:20 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes? ihusar@fit.vutbr.cz (2009-06-07)
Re: C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes? bfranke@inf.ed.ac.uk (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_Franke?=) (2009-06-08)
Re: C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes? harold.aptroot@gmail.com (Harold Aptroot) (2009-06-08)
Re: C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes? jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com (Jeremy Bennett) (2009-06-11)
Re: C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes? bfranke@inf.ed.ac.uk (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_Franke?=) (2009-06-11)
Re: C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes? jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com (Jeremy Bennett) (2009-06-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jeremy Bennett <jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 04:57:20 -0500
Posted-Date: 11 Jun 2009 08:16:01 EDT

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:31:05 +0100, BjC6rn Franke wrote:

> Have you already been looking at CoWare Processor Designer[1], it may
> give you a flexible compiler construction toolkit, simulator generator
> and C-to-HDL design flow for your ASIP. As it seems that you're a
> student or working for a University you may be able to purchase a
> license at a very reasonable price via EuroPractice[2].

Or use the language behind the CoWare tools, SystemC, which has a free
and open source reference implementation (www.systemc.org). It's a
template library for C++ aimed at hardware modeling. Standardized as
IEEE 1666, which unusually for the IEEE can be downloaded free.

Be warned the reference implementation has terrible performance for
anything over 64-bits wide. The discrete event simulation kernel also
can be a significant overhead, but that's the price you pay for
convenient functionality.

Unfortunately this reference implementation is the basis of all the
commercial tools as well, and I do not know of any high performance
implementation (there are many claims, but none independently
verified).

CoWare's tools are good, and they have other tools aimed at ASICs in
general. There are plenty of others out there as well. Generally they
add a graphical development environment (Eclipse based in many cases,
including CoWare) and libraries of pre-packaged IP models (bus
protocols, common peripherals, transactors). However the underlying
functionality of SystemC may be sufficient for your purposes.

HTH,

Jeremy