PCC, TCC - new front end

Marco <prenom_nomus@yahoo.com>
Fri, 22 May 2009 10:56:58 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
PCC, TCC - new front end prenom_nomus@yahoo.com (Marco) (2009-05-22)
Re: PCC, TCC - new front end rpw3@rpw3.org (2009-05-24)
Companion language was PCC, TCC - new front end prenom_nomus@yahoo.com (Marco) (2009-05-25)
Re: PCC, TCC - new front end herron.philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) (2009-06-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Marco <prenom_nomus@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:56:58 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 24 May 2009 19:32:33 EDT

I am looking to create what I would call a "companion language" to C.
It would basically compile to .o files that would be linked with other
standard C generated .o to create the executable. It would of course
use the standard C library when needed.

I have no desire or time to learn a complicated compiler such as gcc.

I am thinking of starting with PCC or TCC or something like that and
then put a new front end on it. Would generating C code be a better
approach? Is there a fairly simple example project out there to start
with? My concern is that this may limit what the "companion language"
can be (besides the obvious linkage aspects).

Ultimately I would like it to target 32 bit ARM, x86 and PowerPC
embedded targets so cross-compiling is a must.

Has anyone created a "companion language" before?

thank you
Marco