Builtin Interpretation

Philip Herron <herron.philip@googlemail.com>
Wed, 29 Apr 2009 17:42:18 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Builtin Interpretation herron.philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) (2009-04-29)
Re: Builtin Interpretation bartc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2009-05-03)
Re: Builtin Interpretation herron.philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) (2009-05-05)
Re: Builtin Interpretation cr88192@hotmail.com (cr88192) (2009-05-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Philip Herron <herron.philip@googlemail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 17:42:18 +0100
Posted-Date: 01 May 2009 19:17:19 EDT

Hi guys

I am getting on much better with my programming language i am making
at the moment, when i get it to a decent state I'll send around the
link.

Anyways, this doesn't affect me but i was thinking about interpreters,
say you have a programming language which needs to like read/write to
a file or otherwise some System interface call, so for that
programming language the library for doing that is probably written in
its own language, but when it comes down how does it exec:
fopen()... or otherwise...

Or more precisely how does it know to do such a thing, is it that
there is a special built-in keyword which the interpreter picks up to
know hey we need to do 'X'. Thats one way i think it could be done,
but is that the way most things do it? I need to do some more reading
into interpreted languages.

Thanks guys!

-Phil
[One approach is to build kewords into the language that tell the interpreter
to call internal routines to do file I/O or whatever. Another is to have
an internal symbol table initialized with names of special functions that
again tell it to call internal routines. -John]