What's lacking: a good intermediate form

"Tony" <tony@my.net>
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:46:40 -0600

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What's lacking: a good intermediate form tony@my.net (Tony) (2009-02-25)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (Glen Herrmannsfeldt) (2009-02-26)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form georgeps@xmission.com (George Peter Staplin) (2009-02-26)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form pertti.kellomaki@tut.fi (Pertti Kellomaki) (2009-02-27)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form cr88192@hotmail.com (cr88192) (2009-02-27)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form max@gustavus.edu (Max Hailperin) (2009-02-27)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2009-02-27)

From: "Tony" <tony@my.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:46:40 -0600
Posted-Date: 26 Feb 2009 20:13:38 EST

Or maybe I'm making the problem to hard (?). Maybe the way to go is to
byte the bullet and generate assembly instructions and stop worrying
about it. Then all I'd need is a good book like the Ron Mak book was
back in it's day. (I haven't paged thru the latest Dragon edition,
but surely I'd be more able to assess what's there now than the last
time I looked at it in the bookstore). It would appear that the newer
texts are too enamoured with GC and exceptions rather than locking
down the most needed basics. OK, so my question really is...

On modern desktop hardware, would anyone even notice the reduction of
program performance because of the rather stark non-optimised back end
code generation? (My guess is not, for 80% of software).

(I read the documentation on C-- and think it would be better to have
an assembly language toolkit for major processors with the commonly
generated code wrapped in C functions: setting up a stack, etc.)

Tony