How to improve the error handling of my scanner?

John Williams <johnwilliams40@live.com>
Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:27:31 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to improve the error handling of my scanner? johnwilliams40@live.com (John Williams) (2009-01-10)
Re: How to improve the error handling of my scanner? DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2009-01-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: John Williams <johnwilliams40@live.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:27:31 +0100
Posted-Date: 12 Jan 2009 15:26:06 EST

I finally built my scanner and parser using Coco/R, but I need some help to
improve error handling.

For example, I tried to parse the following program:

      MODULE Program;
              VAR 4fgnn : INTEGER;
      END Program.

There's obviously an error with "4fgnn", it is a bad identifier because it
starts by a number. This is the compiler output:

      line 2 col 12: "END" expected

Of course it detects the error, but it is kind of vague.

I thought of adding a PRAGMA section to my ATG Grammar that tells Coco/R if a
string matches a bad identifier pattern, the compiler prints "Bad identifier"
using the console.

Are there better ways to achieve this?

Thanks,