Pilot compilers Was: Re: Has anyone hand-written a scanner/parser module?

Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:59:11 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Has anyone hand-written a scanner/parser module? tuxisthebirdforme@gmail.com (tuxisthebirdforme@gmail.com) (2008-11-15)
Re: Has anyone hand-written a scanner/parser module? charlesb.cca@mpowercom.net (Charles E. Bortle, Jr.) (2008-11-24)
Pilot compilers Was: Re: Has anyone hand-written a scanner/parser modu cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2008-11-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:59:11 -0500
Posted-Date: 28 Nov 2008 14:40:56 EST

Ah, Pilot. That was my first "compiler" writing experience. The long
defunct PCC newpaper distributed to various schools (including my HS)
carried an interpreter for a dialect called Pilot-72, which I
re-implemented in the Univac variant of BASIC available to me and then
started extending.

The key goal I had in mind was the ability to keep the program and
data in external files and thus not be limited to the computer memory,
as I had written a Monopoly program that exceeded the capacity of the
BASIC compiler. However, rewriting in pilot and using the interpreter
I was not limited on program size.

There was a lot of good in pilot, especially the "match" command,
which was kind of a poor imitation of Snobol--and I did not know
Snobol at that time, just BASIC and a smattering of FORTRAN IV.

Fun reminiscing....
-Chris

Chris Clark Internet: christopher.f.clark@compiler-resources.com
Compiler Resources, Inc. or: compres@world.std.com