Re: ARM optimizations

RR <rajaram.officemails@gmail.com>
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:18:28 +0800

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ARM optimizations plfriko@yahoo.de (Tim Frink) (2008-10-18)
Re: ARM optimizations torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2008-10-20)
Re: ARM optimizations rajaram.officemails@gmail.com (RR) (2008-10-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: RR <rajaram.officemails@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:18:28 +0800
Posted-Date: 22 Oct 2008 18:05:41 EDT

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Tim Frink <plfriko@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to see what sort of compiler optimizations are beneficial
> for an ARM processor (in particular the ARM7 family). For some other
> processors, like the PowerPC or Infineon TriCore, there are so-called
> "Compiler Writer's Guides" that tell a compiler writer what processor
> features should be taken into account to get a well optimized code.
>
> Are there also such type of documents for the ARM7 processor?
> Or do you know any other sources that deal with ARM7 compiler
> optimizations?

I have seen an application note "How to write better C code for ARM" -
DAI0034vA.pdf
It would tell how to get better output using ARM compiler.

IMO, the compiler writer has to understand the Instruction set power
and consider what kind of application the compiler would be used, to
decide on the optimization.

Also there cant be a single document on how to optimize for a specific
instruction set. Optimizations specific to a processor instruction set
also evolves on feedback from the application developers/testers..