Writing a compiler

andresj <andresjriofrio@gmail.com>
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:20:27 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Writing a compiler andresjriofrio@gmail.com (andresj) (2008-10-20)
Re: Writing a compiler DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2008-10-23)
Re: Writing a compiler ademakov@gmail.com (Aleksey Demakov) (2008-10-23)
Re: Writing a compiler torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2008-10-23)
Re: Writing a compiler Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2008-10-23)
Re: Writing a compiler m.collado@lml.ls.fi.upm.es (Manuel Collado) (2008-10-24)
Re: Writing a compiler Ibeam2000@gmail.com (Nick) (2008-10-26)

From: andresj <andresjriofrio@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:20:27 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 22 Oct 2008 18:05:10 EDT

Hello, I am designing a programming language that will run natively.
That is to say, it will run like C, without a need of an interpreter
nor a standard library (well, there will be, but I want to be able to
write an operating system, too.)

The language parsing (converting a=b into <assignment><variable
name="a"/><variable name="b"/></assignment>---which is not necessarily
correct, anyways) I will skip for now; I will write directly in XML
and use a XML parser to get a tree of my program.

* I need help in finding an appropiate way of structuring my XML. Any
ideas/links?

The next part is where I need more help in: how to convert this tree
into assembly language.

* Is there any documentation on this part of writing a compiler?

This compiler will not need to be fast (might be written in Python or
Ruby or Java---although I don't like Java that much---, instead of C
or C++, which is counterintuitive for me); I will write a new compiler
in the language I am creating (kind of what was done for C.)

Thanks for your help. :)

* Any other articles/ideas on writing compilers or designing
programming languages are welcome. :)