Re: State of the art optimisations

"cr88192" <cr88192@hotmail.com>
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:24:00 +1000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
State of the art optimisations tc@cs.bath.ac.uk (Tom Crick) (2008-09-08)
Re: State of the art optimisations james.harris.1@googlemail.com (James Harris) (2008-09-10)
Re: State of the art optimisations cr88192@hotmail.com (cr88192) (2008-09-11)
Re: State of the art optimisations al407@cam.ac.uk (Anton Lokhmotov) (2008-09-11)
Re: State of the art optimisations tc@cs.bath.ac.uk (Tom Crick) (2008-09-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "cr88192" <cr88192@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:24:00 +1000
Posted-Date: 13 Sep 2008 11:54:53 EDT

"Tom Crick" <tc@cs.bath.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Following on from the recent discussions about the "State of the Art" of
> compiler technologies, what would you all regard as the most important
> developments in compiler optimisations over the past ten years?
>
> Do you think that is it the development of intermediate forms such as
> SSA, which has enabled a greater range of optimisations, or are there
> any specific optimisations that stand out as key developments?

IMO, there haven't really been any major/drastic developments, rather lots
of micro-level tweaking and optimizations.

granted, SSA does add some, but the effect is by no means drastic (and IMO
more in terms of allowing more flexibility in terms of low-level code
generation rather than in terms of performance).

many other changes are more in terms of the underlying architectures than
the compiler structure.

now, some people may disagree, but this is how it looks to me...