Re: Books on compiler tools ?

Tony Sloane <Anthony.Sloane@mq.edu.au>
Sat, 6 Sep 2008 21:21:19 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Books on compiler tools ? johnl@iecc.com (John L) (2008-09-05)
Re: Books on compiler tools ? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2008-09-05)
Re: Books on compiler tools ? Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2008-09-06)
Re: Books on compiler tools ? Anthony.Sloane@mq.edu.au (Tony Sloane) (2008-09-06)
Re: Books on compiler tools ? ademakov@gmail.com (Aleksey Demakov) (2008-09-07)
Re: Books on compiler tools ? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2008-09-07)
Re: Books on compiler tools ? ademakov@gmail.com (Aleksey Demakov) (2008-09-09)
Re: Books on compiler tools ? tom@infoether.com (Tom Copeland) (2008-09-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Tony Sloane <Anthony.Sloane@mq.edu.au>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 21:21:19 +0200
Posted-Date: 07 Sep 2008 17:35:42 EDT

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 22:17:18 +0100 (BST), John L wrote:

> Are there any books currently in print that describe compiler building
> tools other than my venerable "lex & yacc". I realize that books
> like the
> dragon book mention them as part of a description of RE lexers or LALR
> parsers, but I'm more interested in books like Terrence Parr's 1996
> book
> on PCCTS or Holub's book where he reimplemented lex and yacc.
>
> I can't find any -- am I the lone survivor or am I missing some?

I presume that "The Definitive ANTLR Reference: Building Domain-
Specific Languages" by Terence Parr (published by Pragmatic
Programmers) is still in print since Amazon.com has it in stock.

<plug>
Also, our book "Generating Software from Specifications" (Kastens,
Sloane, Waite - Jones and Bartlett, 2007, http://www.jbpub.com/catalog/9780763741242/)
, while not specifically about building compilers, illustrates
software generation using our Eli system with examples from the
language processing area many of which are relevant for compiler
generation.
</plug>

cheers,
Tony