Re: Introduce a C Compiler ucc

"Razvan Aciu" <admin@kam.ro>
Mon, 12 May 2008 11:43:57 +0300

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Introduce a C Compiler ucc dream_anders@yahoo.com.cn (dreamAnders) (2008-05-10)
Re: Introduce a C Compiler ucc gress@optusnet.com.au (karel) (2008-05-10)
Re: Introduce a C Compiler ucc liangkun1983@gmail.com (Alex L.K) (2008-05-11)
Re: Introduce a C Compiler ucc gress@optusnet.com.au (karel) (2008-05-11)
Re: Introduce a C Compiler ucc admin@kam.ro (Razvan Aciu) (2008-05-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Razvan Aciu" <admin@kam.ro>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 11:43:57 +0300
Posted-Date: 12 May 2008 20:58:52 EDT

I think this is a great job. Keep it going!

There is now a tendency to write C compilers using more liberal licences
than GPL, which is used by gcc.
Examples: http://clang.llvm.org/ and http://pcc.ludd.ltu.se/
They can be used even as libraries for different purposes like backends for
advanced code generators to C, code checkers, IDE syntax highlighting, etc.
Probably all of these compilers are much easier to integrate in other
projects than gcc.

For ucc if someone can contact the developer, I have a suggestion: please do
not target MASM for the assembly generated code, because the MASM licence
restricts MASM redistribution both for free or commercial projects so it
will render ucc useless to developers who want to distribute ucc or use ucc
as part of other packages. I don't even know if you have the right to
include ml.exe in the ucc package. It is much better to generate assembly
for NASM ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/nasm ) (it can also be used in
linux or MacOS as a gas replacement), YASM (
http://www.tortall.net/projects/yasm/ ) (also NASM compatible) or FASM (
http://flatassembler.net/ ) (this is written in assembly so it can't be
interfaced with C programs as a library).

Razvan