Re: Optimization order

"Derek M. Jones" <derek@knosof.co.uk>
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:58:11 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Optimization order linuxkaffee_@_gmx.net (Stephan Ceram) (2008-04-17)
Re: Optimization order kevin.phillips83@yahoo.com (kphillips) (2008-04-18)
Re: Optimization order derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M. Jones) (2008-04-18)
Re: Optimization order SidTouati@inria.fr (Sid Touati) (2008-04-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Derek M. Jones" <derek@knosof.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:58:11 GMT
Posted-Date: 18 Apr 2008 11:59:29 EDT

Stephan,

> Do You Know Of Any Guidelines In Which Order Standard Compiler
> Optimizations Should Be Invoked Promising Best Run-Time Results?
>
> Probably, the order will vary from compiler to compiler due to
> different implementations of the optimizations, but still I can
> imagine that some types of optimizations might profit from other
> optimization classes that should be invoked before.

These days the bleeding edge of compiler optimization uses some form
of machine learning to select the best ordering for a given program.

A Google search using the terms:
compiler optimizing iterative
compiler optimizing machine learning
will find plenty of papers (sorry don't know the area well enough
to recommend a good survey paper).

That well know source of compiler optimization information ;-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiler_optimization
is silent on the topic.