Re: Is There Still a Need for "Turbo" Compilers?

Nils M Holm <nmh@t3x.org>
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 07:36:25 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is There Still a Need for "Turbo" Compilers? jlforrest@berkeley.edu (Jon Forrest) (2008-03-17)
Re: Is There Still a Need for "Turbo" Compilers? DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2008-03-18)
Re: Is There Still a Need for "Turbo" Compilers? nmh@t3x.org (Nils M Holm) (2008-03-18)
Re: Is There Still a Need for "Turbo" Compilers? marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2008-03-18)
Re: Is There Still a Need for "Turbo" Compilers? haberg_20080313@math.su.se (Hans Aberg) (2008-03-18)
Re: Is There Still a Need for "Turbo" Compilers? jacob@nospam.org (jacob navia) (2008-03-18)
Re: Is There Still a Need for "Turbo" Compilers? dot@dotat.at (Tony Finch) (2008-03-18)
Re: Is There Still a Need for "Turbo" Compilers? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2008-03-18)
Re: Is There Still a Need for "Turbo" Compilers? gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2008-03-18)

From: Nils M Holm <nmh@t3x.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 07:36:25 +0100
Posted-Date: 18 Mar 2008 09:07:35 EDT

Jon Forrest <jlforrest@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> However, these days there aren't any "Turbo" language implementations
> that I'm aware of. Is this because modern hardware is so fast that it
> isn't worth developing compilers and linkers optimized for speed? By
> using proper command line arguments to gcc, can you get quasi-Turbo
> performance compared to using arguments that result in
> highly-optimized code?

Given the amount of algorithms with non-linear complexity in an
optimizing compiler, I doubt that an optimizing compiler will ever
result in "Turbo" performance.

For a recent compiler that puts emphasis on compilation speed, have a
look at Tiny C: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/tcc/. It claims to
compile a 2004 Linux kernel in 10 seconds.

On the other hand, have a look at modern GCCs: in spite of all those
fancy optimizations, they keep getting slower and slower.

I agree that fast compilers seem to become a lost art, and I think
that this is unfortunate. Fast turn-around cycles are a major factor
in productivity, and you can still do the final build with an
optimizing compiler (or with optimization enabled).

I guess this is why I am using mostly interpreters these days,
but I digress.

Nils
--
Nils M Holm <nmh@t3x.org> -- http://t3x.org/nmh/